top of page

Winter Holiday Safety Tips

Tips, Residential, Holiday

Winter Holiday Safety Tips

Main Contact

Chief Keith Goldstein

Main Contact

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Main Location

9207 Bellefontaine Rd.

St. Louis, MO 63137

As the winter and holidays fast approach us, it is time to celebrate with family, friends, and good food. It is also the time of year were there are more fires due to cooking, space heaters, and the use of extension cords. North County Fire & Rescue would like to offer some safety tips to keep you safe during the holidays, and the yeast of the year.

Smoke Detectors: Make sure you have working smoke detectors, and that they have been tested, replace the batteries if needed. If you are unable to change the batteries, please contact your local fire department. Smoke detectors can save lives by providing early warning in case of a fire.

Cooking Safety: Never leave cooking unattended. Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling food. Check on food that is simmering and broiling Always keep small children away from all hot surfaces including the oven. Keep flammable materials such as (dish towels, paper towels, plastic bowls, oven mitts etc.) away from stove tops, ovens, and open flames.

Turkey Frying: This has become such a popular way to prepare your turkey, but it also can be one of the most dangerous ways of cooking if you're not careful. Here are some helpful tips for frying turkeys (Always fry outside and away from structures, not inside the house, garage, or under the deck. Use a turkey fryer with a built-in thermostat to control the temperature of the oil. Always thaw the turkey completely and pat it dry before immersing into the hot oil. Always lower the turkey into the hot oil slowly, about five (5) inches at a time until the turkey is fully submerged).

Extension Cords: Make sure you are using a UL rated extension cord, and the proper gage wiring to support the electrical load. Make sure electrical cords are not damaged or frayed. For outside lighting use UL rated extension cords designed for outside use. Always remember to never overload the extension cords.

Live Christmas Trees: Always make sure you check and water your live trees on a regular basis and keep all open flames such as candles at a safe distance.

Space Heaters: Space heaters are not designed as a permanent source of heating for your home. Space heaters are designed to take the call out of a room. Keep all ordinary combustible such as (blankets, clothings, plastics, towels etc.) away from these heaters. Always keep safe clearance in all directions while using these devices. Always plug the heaters directly into an outlet not an extension cord.

Following the winter, holiday safety tips can reduce the risk of fires, burns, and ensure that your celebrations are enjoyable and safe. As always if you have any questions, please contact us at 314.867.3889.

Happy Holidays,

Chief Keith Goldstein

Scheduling Details

bottom of page